CHANDRAPUR: In a long-awaited move, the Chandrapur municipal council has banned idols made of plaster of paris (PoP) and warned artisans and devotees of legal action on violation of the directive. With the 10-day Ganesh festival around the corner, the civic body has also launched an awareness drive, urging citizens not to buy PoP idols.
The municipal council was inclined to ban the PoP idols last year itself. However, it took a sympathetic view of the artisans’ plea and revoked the ban. However, this year, the civic body has already directed the artisans to see that no PoP idols are brought out for sale.
Asked which agency would take action against the violators, chief officer, CMC, Ravindra Deotale said that it would be decided in the meeting scheduled with the district collector in the coming days. Deotale, however, hinted that it would be a joint action involving MPCB, civic body and police.
- Jaipur: Sculptors of Lord Ganesh the symbols of knowledge live below the poverty line (mylordganesha.wordpress.com)
- NGO begins ‘Green Ganesha’ campaign (mylordganesha.wordpress.com)
- Eco-friendly worship catching on in Ahmedabad (mylordganesha.wordpress.com)
- Govt goes soft on PoP Ganesha idols this year (mylordganesha.wordpress.com)
- Ganesh Pandals 2011 – Popular Ganapati Pandals 2011 in Mumbai during Ganesh Chaturthi (mylordganesha.wordpress.com)
- Potters to present green Ganesha idols in Mumbai (mylordganesha.wordpress.com)