Taking forward its commitment towards environmental issues and innovative ways to deal with them, this year, DNA has come forth with a special way to celebrate Mumbai’s biggest festival – Ganesh Chaturthi.
Keeping in mind the effects of clay idols on the Mumbai environment and the most cherished repository of Mumbaikars – the sea, DNA has launched “DNA Eco Ganesha” – an innovative drive calling Mumbaikars to celebrate the festival by contributing in the process of creating Ganesha idols made out of paper mache.
Urging all environment-conscious Mumbaikars in this effort, DNA has taken up a city-wide on-ground drive,requesting citizens to donate newspapers, which will be used to create eco-friendly Paper Machhe Ganesh idols. There would one 8 ft idol which would be take centre stage in Oberoi Mall for 7 days. The 8 feet idol will be given a royal good bye with a massive visarjan ceremony on the 7th day. Furthermore, the first 350 contributors could also place an order for a 3 feet Paper Mache Ganesh idol they can place in their building society or area mandals across Mumbai.
To take it a step further, DNA has also kept a ‘Eco- Ganesh’ award for the most eco-friendly Mandal. Top 20 entries will be awarded and will also be featured in our the DNA
Launched on the eve of Independence Day, the drive has met with a very encouraging response. DNA has already collected over 1000 kgs of newspaper within 2 days.
This initiative will be communicated in DNA with press ads and editorial, outdoor (billboards and screens in A/C BEST buses) as well as in Multiplexes.
Says Gautam Dalal, VP – marketing: “DNA believes in engaging its readers through intelligent and thought provoking initiatives. DNA Eco Ganesha raises the pertinent question while celebrating with its own readers responsibly. Through this initiative we seek to provide the reader an outlet to his questions about implementing an eco friendly practice. Something that most talk about and few resolve.”
* Step 1- DNA to collect paper from Mumbai, by taking out a massive city-wide drive by the 14th of August – 19th August ’10for the 8ft Ganesh Idol
*Step 2- First 350 Mumbaikar’s to order their Eco-friendly Ganesh idol by sending a text message “DNAGANESH” ttheir address & society/area name to 54567
* Step 3- DNA representatives to visit these 350 societies/areas & collect 10 kg paper & Rs.501 cheque each for making their idol. During the visit DNA will also handover a booking number & give them an address from where they should collect their idol. DNA will also put a placard saying this society/area supports Green Ideas.
* Step 4- Mumbaikars could send in their mandal pictures, which would later be featured on dnaindia.com & will be judged by a panel of judges.
* Step 6- On the 5th day, DNA will publish the 20 BEST Ganpati Mandals in the city
* Step 7 – The 8ft Ganesh Idol will be placed in Oberoi Mall for 7 days, with daily puja offered by a reknowned personality from Mumbai . On the 7th Day, the idol will taken for massive visarjan ceremony
* Step 8- An award ceremony for the 20 BEST Green Ganesh Mandals will be held.
For further information, please contact:
Source: Agency FAQs